Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 12, 2014

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart. I'll stay there forever." - Winnie the Pooh


I woke up this morning feeling anxious, with tightness in my chest unsure as to why I was feeling this way.  I lay still, listening for Jase to hear if he was crying only to hear the rhythmic sounds of 2 sleeping fellas and a couple ceiling fans clicking.  I did a mental checklist of my things to do, wondering if I forgot something important…..nothing seemed to be out of order.  So, I grabbed my ipad  on the nightstand and thought I would enjoy the peace and quiet of a Saturday morning before everyone got up.  I had a text message from a sweet friend with encouraging words and I read it 2 times before I remembered what today is.  I’ve dreaded today and what it is all week.  I don’t know how I could have forgotten, even for the brief few minutes that my sleepy mind was unaware.   My heart had not forgotten, it woke me up with a pounding that made me think something was wrong.  I lay there staring at these kind words from a dear friend and quietly cried because something is wrong….

Today is Jensen’s 2nd birthday.  I can’t help but wonder about all that could have been and the “what if’s” that this day brings to mind.  It’s weird how even after 2 whole years, not a day goes by that I don’t wonder and worry about him.   Almost 2 months ago we celebrated Jase’s birthday and I’ll admit, it was an extravagant affair!  We went all out and celebrated him and his first year in style!  I wouldn’t have had it any other way.  I was thinking about this as I lay in bed this morning and wondered if Jensen will have a birthday party today.  Most of you are probably shaking your head and thinking, “Now, Jaime, I’m sure he’s going to have a birthday party.” But then again, most of you don’t know about the conversations I had with his mother, who text me asking if I could wire her money to buy a birthday cake for her older son.  I’m certain that her circumstances haven’t changed in these past 2 years, so being concerned over this is completely valid.  And who doesn’t have money for a birthday cake?! 

And if he doesn’t have a birthday cake, does he have new shoes for the summer?  Does he have swim trunks to play in the water?  Does he have a blanket or a favorite stuffed animal or toy?  Does he still have the stuffed cow we gave him as he was taken out of our arms and ripped from our lives?  Does he go to bed every night with a full belly in a warm bed knowing he will be loved forever?  Will he ever know how much we love him and how our hearts still ache to know he is safe?  Will we ever see him again and get to tell him that although we weren’t allowed to be his forever parents, he gave us the greatest gift of experiencing the love of a parent for the first time?  Will he grow to be a strong, kind, hard-working man who loves God and his family?  These are the questions that keep me up some nights and keep a part of my heart broken.

When people hear our story, sometimes they say things like “It just wasn’t meant to be” or “But look at Jase and how wonderful he is”.  None of this helps me feel any better.   Am I supposed to forget about this precious boy that I held to my chest and loved instantly?  Am I not supposed to worry for him and pray he has all the things he needs and gets all the love he deserves?  Anyone who is a mother knows you simply can’t turn those instincts off just because you no longer see your child.  It’s not the same but the only thing I can think to compare it to is when your child grows up and goes off to college.  Essentially, your job as a parent is complete but as my parents have told me and I know understand, just because your child isn’t living with you, doesn’t mean you will ever stop worrying about them and praying that they are safe and happy and making good choices.  Just because Jensen isn’t physically with us, doesn’t mean we aren’t concerned for him and his well-being.  And quite honestly, if my phone rang today and someone said, “Nicole has decided she wants you be Jensen’s parents.”  I would drop everything again, throw some clothes in a bag, give JP a plane pill, buckle Jase in his car seat and head to the airport to fly to California.  I would bring this boy home in heart beat if I had the chance.  I think a tiny part of me will always be waiting for him and I think I will miss him forever.  Even after 2 years, there are still times when I think of him and suddenly it gets hard to breath, like the air is too thick for my lungs and my heart hurts because I can’t breathe through the tears that well up in my eyes.

Everyone has gone through something that has changed them in a way that they could never go back to the person they once were.  This was our thing……this changed us both, forever.  Two years ago today, we were on what we can all agree would be the worst travel experience EVER, trying our absolute best just to get to this sweet baby!  We were anxious, excited, full of anticipation and hope as we made our way to California and what we thought would be our baby boy.  I will never forget seeing him for the first time, gasping with tears at his innocent beauty and watching JP hold him, ever so gently and basking in the joy of that moment that we had waited so long to experience.  Sometimes I try to remember every second I had with him, just to make sure that time hasn’t let me forget anything.  I’ve said this before and as ridiculous as it sounds, even if I knew how it was going to end, I would do it all over again.  I can’t say that I can make sense of all this pain but I know how wonderful it felt to hold him and kiss him and even though it hurts beyond explanation, it was also the greatest feeling I had experienced up to that point in my life.  He changed us, being his parents for 5 days made us different people.  Maybe not to a degree that was noticeable to anyone else but he changed our hearts forever and at that moment, we knew we could never go back to just being us.  We knew we were made to be parents and refused to give up on that!  Little did we know that the baby boy who would be ours forever would bring us joy beyond measure and heal our broken hearts like no one else could.

I can’t take credit for this quote but I I have to share it because I think it sums this up perfectly.   

“To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever.  The pain stops, there are new people, but the gap never closes…….this hole in your heart is in the shape of the one you lost, no one can fit it.” – Jeanette Winterson

We will always have a “Jensen shaped hole” in our hearts.  We will always miss him, love him, worry and pray over him.  He is a part of who we are and there will always be a little piece of our hearts in California with him, our golden nugget.  So happy 2nd birthday, sweet boy!  We are celebrating here as best we can without you by holding each other tight and remembering what you gave to us.  I just wish there was a way for you to know just how much you are loved by these 2 people whose lives you changed forever…….

No comments:

Post a Comment