Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"Keep looking up, that's the secret of life." Snoopy

I have been asked several times recently by people dear to my heart how I was able to stay positive or keep my faith during our journey to a family, especially when it seemed like it would never happen.  I’d like to say it was easy….I’d love to tell others that I trusted God completely, every minute of the lengthy process but I can’t.  The truth is, it was hard.  Most days were filled with doubt and fear that we would never hold our precious baby in our arms.  In fact, as I look back over the more than 5 years it took us to get to Jase, I had more days of uncertainty than belief that God would bring us to our family.  The only thing I knew for sure was that I had an inexplicable desire and passion to be a mother, to put one foot in front of the other and take another step, to keep trying. 
After 3 rounds of in vitro with only one pregnancy that ended by nearly taking my life along with it and a failed adoption that shattered us in more pieces than we could ever imagine, we were broken.  Plain and simple, we were changed to our very core, no longer the same people who started this journey with an overwhelming 3 hour appointment at the fertility doctor’s office.  Unfortunately, there are things that happen to us that we can never completely come back from.  I remember saying to JP just before I was taken into emergency surgery because my fallopian tube had ruptured, taking our baby with it and I was bleeding profusely, “I’ll never be able to come back from this.” And I remember saying exactly the same thing to him again, when I held our sweet baby Jensen in my arms as we got ready to walk out onto the sidewalk and hand him over to his birth mother.  I knew I would be forever changed after the magnitude of both of those losses.  What I didn’t know at the time was that those losses were so huge for me because they were my first glimpse of motherhood, what my soul had been longing for.  I have experienced the loss of loved ones and it is tragic, to say the least.  But feeling like you have finally received that which your heart has longed for, only to have it slip through your hands like running water is truly indescribable and changes the very fiber of your being.
So, how did I go on?  How did we make the decision to take another chance, to gamble on hope, to literally put everything we have into one more try?  Did I think people were going to think we were crazy?  Was there ever a guarantee that we would get the results we wanted?  These are questions that have been posed to me recently.   I can answer a few without reservation, for example, I didn’t care what anyone thought!  (I’m pretty sure those of you who know me well can attest to that!)  No, there was never a guarantee with either in vitro or adoption. Both options were high risk with high stakes and no promise of return, as you all well know.  As far as how we knew to keep going, that can only be explained by our passion to pursue our hearts desire.  We took “breaks” along the way to regroup but our goal never changed in the meantime. 
There were times when I was so angry that I refused to even pray.  I was so mad at God for letting all of these things happen to us that I couldn’t even stand to acknowledge Him.  And then there were times that my anger turned to rage and I said things to God that I am so ashamed of now.  Thankfully, God is big enough to handle our anger and brokenness.  It’s like God sees us in our ridiculous, child-like, fit throwing state, puts His hands up like all of us parents have done and says, “Ok, I’ll give you your space but I’m not leaving.  I’m right over here when you’re ready to talk again.” 
I wasn’t faithful during this whole journey, I sort of fluctuated between asking God for favors and blaming him for my hard times.  I was like the bad kid who only wants to talk to her parents when she needs something or it’s convenient or its expected.  I wish I could say differently, I so wish I could tell you that I spent so much time in prayer that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God would bring us through this, making us stronger as a family and bring us to Jase.  But I’m human and sometimes not a very good one, at that. 
After our failed adoption, which for most people would have been the last straw, I decided I was going to learn all I could about the grieving process and teach myself how to heal.  That’s not really how it works, but that’s what I set out to do.  I read books, participated in on-line chat groups for adoption loss, saw a counselor, wrote my blog and waited patiently, for the first time in this journey.  And I had a moment, a time that became a turning point for me in January 2013.  I had the stomach flu and was sicker than I thought I had ever been and was praying “Jesus, please don’t let me puke!”  (I hate to throw up, so this is pretty much my standard nauseated prayer….)  As I was recovering, I thought it was odd that I would so fervently ask God to keep me from vomiting but I had never put such urgency in praying for my baby or his birth mother.  It was then and there that I made a decision to pray with everything I had for our baby and his birth mother.  It became a rehearsed prayer that I would say almost continuously, if I wasn’t talking out loud….I know, hard to believe!  I don’t think the timing of this was a coincidence because, as you all know, we got the call telling us we had been chosen by Jase’s birth mother the very next month.  Isn’t that awesome??!!
So, I say all of that to say this…..I didn’t stay positive and I rarely was sure that what we were doing would end well.  I certainly didn’t stay faithful throughout the entire journey, either.  But I do know when I wasn’t, there were others who were.  When I couldn’t pray, there were people who love me who did.  When I was beside myself with grief and discouraged beyond measure, the people who love me had kind words or Dr. Pepper or chocolate to bring me comfort.  I don’t have all the answers, heck, I don’t have very many answers at all….but I have learned a lot about myself along the way.   And I learned that no matter how far we go, how angry we get, how hopeless we feel or how ridiculous we may act, God’s grace is enough for us when we need it most and deserve it least!  Sometimes, we just have to put our faith in the process, painful as it may be and wait for what lies ahead.  I know that’s easy for me to say now that I’m on the other side of waiting but spent a really long time waiting, so I think I can say that with sincerity and not sound like a cliché.  I’ve said this before and I’m sure I’ll say it again, if the knowledge I’ve gained along the way is helpful to others, then I will gladly share what I’ve learned to make someone else’s life easier!

And now I must go get my baby up from his nap….that’s right, my baby, my sweet, handsome, funny little guy who is the light of my life and the reason for the smile on my face!!

No comments:

Post a Comment